Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Streaming 56k Quality

  1. #1
    Inactive Member sipowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2001
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does anyone agree with me that having an option to stream video off a website at 56k or below is so annoyingly pointless? You see like 1 frame every second. Why not just let the movie be downloadable in a higher quality? There are plenty of compression formats that let you keep the file size down nicely. And with a download manager ie Real Download (free off real.com), you can resume the file if your connection breaks. Everything on the net is stream only.. all the amateur movies on it.. it's so ridiculous for 56k!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member machead's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 23rd, 2000
    Posts
    410
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    no I don't agree with you .If you've got problems downloading your porn off the net may I recomend you buy the video you cheap scate.

    next......

  3. #3
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The reason streaming is so popular is i believe it may be to do with copyright. When you stream you cant copy the material but with a download then its yours to do with what you like.
    Anyway when you have broadband access like me streaming at these speeds is getting spookily close to tv quality(which shows you the way technology is going) I believe in the future the tv and computer will integrate and you will tell ITV or BBC to send you the episode of coronation street when you want to watch it and scheduling as we know it will cease to exist.


    marti

  4. #4
    Inactive Member no_one119's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 5th, 1999
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd agree. I've only got 56k access and streaming media, doesn't. I much prefer to wait and download something so that I can see it.

    As is mentioned I think it's something to do with copyright or access. I tried watching something off the Lord of the Rings website the other day and ended up giving up as I was watching and hearing different things and only for about 5 seconds at a time before the dreaded "rebuffering..." sign appeared.

    Roll on broadband access, and price drops.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sipowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2001
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah it's alright when the stuff is copyrighted. But even then they should just have a minute or two's buffer time every 5 minutes or something like that.
    But the stupidest thing is that all these cheapo amateur movies are streaming too! When half of them would only be a couple of megs to download..

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Curtin-Parloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2000
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Streaming is OK but only if your PC can cope - on my site I've got 3 different quality levels, down to 28.8K - after all, a 56K modem usually isn't redface

    cheers

    paul

  7. #7
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think broadband is getting more affordable. I am with NTL and they charge me 19.99 per month for broadband and it does really pay for itself. All i have to do is make sure i download a couple of cd's that i would have bought anyway and that justifies the cost. Even the other night i just went to bed and downloaded the full Pearl Harbor movie from WINMX site. Who would have thought it viable to download 900mb a few years ago. Woke up in the morning download complete ....no problem! It only takes me approx 30 seconds to download an average mp3 file. It just i'm a very impatient man when it comes to the net.

    marti

  8. #8
    Inactive Member sipowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2001
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Okay but not everyone can get cable access.. as shown by the people replying saying their connections suck.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member ComingApart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2001
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would be willing to pay quite a bit more per month to move from 56k dialup to some type of broadband, but there just aren't any availible options in my area

    ------------------
    Video IS a good thing, how else are we gonna know who robbed the Quik-Mart?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member no_one119's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 5th, 1999
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not in a cable area which means BT and they're a bit shakey about when and if they can install ADSL (not that I've asked).

    The only other option for those living in rural areas is satellite, something my old dear (who lives in the US) uses, crap upload but comparable download speeds with ADSL and cable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •